Agricultural Workers Comp Insurance FAQs

What is an experience modification factor (experience mod)?

An experience mod factor is a value that compares the claim profile of the employer to the claim profile that would be expected of an employer of similar size (payroll) in the same industry (class codes). A value of 1.00 is average, meaning the frequency and severity of actual losses equaled the expected losses. A mod factor greater than 1.00 means the employer experienced worse than expected losses during the rating period, and a mod of less than 1.00 indicates the employer’s losses were better than expected for the rating period.

Why is an audit being requested on my workers comp policy?

Once your workers compensation policy expires, your actual exposures during the policy period will be determined by an audit. Workers comp insurance premiums are based on two main exposures: payroll, and total cost of uninsured contractors. When your policy is first written, the premium is based on estimated payroll figures that should be your best projection for the upcoming policy period. After the audit is completed, the insurance company will send you a final audit statement which indicates any additional premium you owe or any credit you will receive.

What will the company ask for during my workers comp audit?

When preparing for your workers compensation audit, you will need to make any requested documents available to the auditor. Here are some of the items they may require:

  • Payroll Records: Payroll Journal and Summary, Check Book (if it is the way you keep records), Federal Tax Reports (941 forms), State Unemployment Reports, Individual Earnings Records, Overtime Payments, Payments to Subcontractors.
  • Employee Records: Job duties of each employee, number of employees, hours/days and weeks worked annually.
  • Certificates of Insurance: For all Subcontractors and Independent Contractors
  • A detailed description of your business operations

Why have I received two bills from the company for my workers comp policy?

If you have recently completed an audit for your prior policy term, it is not unusual to receive two invoices very close together for nearly the same amount. One invoice will be for any additional premium you may owe from the audit. The insurance company is invoicing you for having more actual payroll than what you first estimated. The second invoice is for amending the estimated payroll for your current policy term to match that of your recently completed audit. By amending your current term, this helps to avoid receiving larger audits the next year. As a general rule, payrolls tend to grow over time as hourly wages increase and your business increases in size.

How can I get a certificate of insurance sent to someone who is requesting it?

To obtain a certificate of insurance, please use the Certificate of Insurance Request Form on our website. Our goal is to issue certificates within 24 business hours. Timely issuance is just one of the many ways your business will benefit from working with us.

What happens if an H-2A worker gets sick or injured?

H-2A workers are covered on your workers compensation insurance policy. If an illness or injury is work-related, the workers comp insurance should cover any needed medical care and some wage reimbursement.

What will the company ask for when I need to report a workers comp claim?

Please have your policy number and name of insured/policyholder as it appears on the policy. Please also have the following claimant information:

  • Full name, age, date of birth, social security number
  • Date/hours of employment and wages
  • Date, time and location of injury
  • Home address and phone number

All injuries sustained on the job should be reported directly to Meadowbrook Insurance Group. Download a copy of the Injury Reporting Procedures.