Business Insurance FAQs

What is a business owners policy (BOP) and what does it cover?

A Business Owners Policy (BOP) includes property and liability insurance packaged into one convenient policy with optional coverages and flexible pricing. It can cover your building, property, equipment, liability, and other business operations. By combing your policies, you will simplify your billing and claims handling.

What type of insurance do I need for a contracting business?

Depending upon who you work for, what jobs you perform, and how many employees you have, contractors may need some or all of the following types of insurance: Workers Compensation, General Liability, Commercial Automobile, Property Insurance, Equipment, Bonding, EPLI and possibly other types of insurance. Contact us to help you determine what insurance you need for your business.

What is employment practices liability insurance (EPLI) and why should I have this coverage?

Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) is designed to protect your business from employee lawsuits. It provides coverage to employers against claims made by employees alleging discrimination (based on sex, race, age or disability, for example), wrongful termination, harassment and other employment-related issues, such as breach of contract. Today, more business owners are being hit with employment lawsuits and they are more likely to have an employment claim than a property or general liability claim.

How can I get a certificate of insurance sent to someone who is requesting it?

To obtain a certificate of insurance, please use the Certificate of Insurance Request Form on our website. Our goal is to issue certificates within 24 business hours. Timely issuance is just one of the many ways your business will benefit from working with us.

Am I required to have workers compensation insurance for my business?

In order to determine if you are required by law to carry workers compensation insurance, you must first determine your business entity. Typically if you are a sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, estate, or trust, you are required by law to carry coverage once you have three (3) employees who are regularly employed (in addition to the sole proprietor, partners, formulators of the LLC, executor of the estate, and bearer of the trust). It does not matter if these employees are full time, part time, seasonal or family members. If you are incorporated, including all forms of corporations and those which have non-profit status, you are required by law to carry coverage once you have a total of three (3) people in the corporation. Everyone is included in the headcount, including corporate officers. An agricultural operation must carry coverage when there are ten (10) or more regular, non-seasonal employees. Any other business entity not mentioned above would use the three (3) or more employees rule. These rules vary from state to state so please check with us to see if your state is different.

What type of insurance do I need for my farm?

A Farmowners insurance policy is a policy that combines coverage for your personal property, personal liability, your home and contents, with that of your farm business property and farm liability. Farm business property may include equipment, barns, livestock, supplies, rental dwellings, and supplies. Usually all of these coverages can be rolled into this one package policy. Some types of farm liability coverage that can be added to a Farmowners policy would include premise liability, chemical drift, and liability for dwellings that are rented.